Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Magpul Zuhkov AK Platform Furniture, Modern Era AK

I'ts been a long time  since I owned an SKS and swapped out the wood for a synthetic 'Combat Exchange' folder. Maybe 1990? I was a gun enthusiast then and lived through the whole thumb hole stock era. After finding an ad in Shotgun News, (all hail Shotgun News) I bought a lot of replacement stocks from Keng's Firearm Specialties in Atlanta Ga, to one day return my AK's to their former glory. I even had a copy of SOF magazine with a feature article on the 'new' Maadi ARM, I took an eraser to the picture and removed the thumb hole portion on the stock. Then ACE came along and made a folder for the AK. A tube stock with a 'blocky' receiver attachment that was anything but attractive. Then years later, Tapco entered the AK market with  factory replacement stocks in plastic. That pretty much summed up, in my eyes, the best we could get for a US polymer made Ak stock.
About 2 years ago, I purchased a Molot Vepr in '54r that had an adapter added to fit an AR15 Magpul MOE stock. I liked the stock, but not the adapter. Again, it didn't look like it belonged on the rifle, like an add on.So when Magpul announced they were getting in the AK stock business, and making a folder, I was all ears. I waited patiently for the Shot Show Youtube videos to roll in and see it on a rifle. Not a stock for someone looking for a classic AK look, but a modern, original, truly functional and well thought out design. Rugged and attractive and made with the quality that goes beyond what is expected. I replaced the adapter attached stock on the Vepr with the folder (Zhkov) and the long hand guard. I did need longer bolts to fit the hand guard (they were easily found at Home Depot). The adjustable butt stock was a tight, tight fit and looks like it SHOULD be there. The best part, other than it's modern look, is all Magpul push button sling attachments work. If you haven't tried them, you are missing out. I also went with the excellent rubber overmolded Magpul AK pistol grip.
Magupul has truly brought this classic platform into the modern era.